Ethmoid sinusitis (Ethmoiditis) is one of the paranasal sinus problems in which Ethmoid sinus cavity is affected by infection or allergens. Ethmoid cavity has air-space enclosed in spongy Ethmoid bone and lies on upper part of nose and in between eyes. There are thin walled cavities located in ethmoidal labyrinth and it has the major function to keep nose moist.
There are many causes of Ethmoid sinusitis explained below:
- Anatomical deformities (enlarged turbinate or deviated septum)
- Environmental pollutants and foreign elements
- Fungal infections
- Chronic bacteria
- Trauma and tumors
- URT infections
- Viral infections in nasal passages[/list_arrow3]
Ethmoid sinusitis symptoms
- Pain in lower portion of forehead
- Headache in temples
- Breathing difficulty
- Eye pain or pressure on inner eye corners
- Yellow discharge from nostrils
- Pain in head while bending down or getting up[/list_arrow3]
Ethmoid sinusitis diagnosis
In case, you get any symptom related to Ethmoid sinusitis, the first step should be visit a physician. Doctors will review patient’s history and review allergies. Physical examination and clinical procedures can predict Ethmoid sinusitis. In severe cases, CT Scans or X-rays are required by doctors to get detailed diagnosis of the problem.
Ethmoid sinusitis treatment
- Antibiotic treatment: These drugs are prescribed to patients having Ethmoid sinusitis through bacterial infection.
- Anti-fungal medications: These medications are given to people having fungal Ethmoid sinusitis.
- Anti-histamines: These are given to people having some allergic infection.
- Decongestants: These liquid sprays are used to get rid of nasal congestion. They are mainly used for infection caused due to viral infection.[/list_arrow3]
You should consult your physician to get best treatment for Ethmoid sinusitis. They can make diagnosis for determining correct treatment for the infection. It is essential to ask your physician about all procedures beforehand to become aware about Ethmoid sinusitis. Surgical procedures can be carried out for Ethmoid sinusitis treatment for severe infection or any deformity of nasal cavity.
Preventions and natural remedies for Ethmoid sinusitis
Ethmoid sinus infection can be acute, chronic, or recurring. If you experience recurring sinusitis, it would be better to keep preventions in eating, cleaning and general habits to get rid of sinus infection. If the infection goes up to 8 weeks or more, it is definitely the case of chronic sinusitis and if it lasts for 3-4 weeks, it comes under acute sinusitis.
Saline water and nasal irrigation are common ways to get rid of sinus infection. You can also use steam or vapor inhalation to get rid of congestion. Patients prone to Ethmoid sinusitis should beware of getting common colds and maintain proper hygiene. Balanced diet will also contribute in getting rid of probability of sinusitis. People having Ethmoid sinusitis are also suggested to drink plenty of water to lower nasal secretions and mucus thinning.